Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority. - William Jennings Bryan

Friday, December 16, 2005

Barry Goldwater

I don't agree with very much of anything that Senator Barry Goldwater said. He was very likely the father of the Conservative Republican movement, even moreso than Ronald Reagan.

Late in life, however, he became outspoken, and once said what every good Christian should do about Jerry Falwell.

But here's my favorite quote from Goldwater. I think alot of GOPers would do well to take his advice:

"However, on religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?"

Just thought I'd share that.

-Neal

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this particulary relevant with the ' Christmas War' now going on. I've seen a good many local advertisers - including national bank chains - fall in with Falwell's anti-'holidays' campaign.

Mind you, I see nothing wrong with Christians asking or demanding equal representation with other religious faiths (pagan, Jewish, and other holiday representations, for instance). But I have a huge problem with the 'who stole Christmas campaign,' which, as Falwell clearly intended, once again divides people into 'us' and 'them' categories, and preaches discrimination against 'them' in the name of God...

Neal said...

I'll say this;
I'm a God-fearing Southern Baptist. I believe in God the father, God the son, and God the holy spirit. I'm in church on most Sundays.
And Happy Holidays/Seasons Greetings doesn't offend me at all.
The O'Reilly/Falwell folks are trying to get a big culture war, and, in turn, a wedge issue, started. But I don't think the majority of Christians really care. They know its Christmas, whether Wal-Mart folks call it that or not.
So, to sum up, I'm fine with Happy Holidays.