Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority. - William Jennings Bryan

Friday, May 19, 2006

2006 Endorsements

(This is just preliminary. I'll add full explanations on each of these later tonight. Right now, I've got to be somewhere.)

Here's my list of candidates I'm "endorsing" this year. I believe that these folks exemplify what is best about American politics and government today.

U.S. Senate
Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA)
Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV)
Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL)
Senator Daniel Akaka (D-HI)
Senator Kent Conrad (D-ND)
James Webb (D-VA)
Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI)
Bob Casey (D-PA)
Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Claire McCaskill (D-MO)
Harold Ford (D-TN)
Ben Cardin (D-MD)
Jon Tester (D-MT)
Jack Carter (D-NV)
Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)

Governors
Governor Phil Bredesen (D-TN)
Governor Ed Rendell (D-PA)
Governor Bill Richardson (D-NM)
Governor Kathleen Sebelius (D-KS)
Governor Janet Napolitano (D-AZ)
Ted Strickland (D-OH)
Kinky Friedman (I-TX)
Eliot Spitzer (D-NY)
Rod Smith (D-FL)
Frank Willis (D-SC)
Martin O'Malley (D-MD)
Steve Westly (D-CA)
Deval Patrick (D-MA)
Mike Beebe (D-AR)
Chet Culver (D-IA)
Charlie Fogarty (D-RI)

House of Representatives
Congressman Rick Boucher (D-VA-9)
Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH-10)
Congressman Nick Rahall (D-WV-3)
Congressman Jim Langevin (D-RI-2)
Congressman Raúl Grijalva (D-AZ-7)
Joel Goodman (D-TN-1)
Zack Space (D-OH-18)
Nick Lampson (D-TX-22)
Nikki Tinker (D-TN-9)
Phil Kellam (D-VA-2)
Patty Wetterling (D-MN-6)
Matt Matsunaga (D-HI-2)
Hank Johnson (D-GA-4)
Heath Shuler (D-NC-11)
Tammy Duckworth (D-IL-6)
Ken Lucas (D-KY-4)

-Neal

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you endorsing Kinky in Texas.

Here are 10 good reasons to vote for Kinky in Texas:


(1) he has run for office in the past as a Republican,

(2) he voted for Bush/Cheney in 2004,

(3) his interview with Ruminator magazine confirms that he supported Bush's Iraq war,

(4) his public voting records confirm he lied about voting for Gore in 2000,

(5) he hasn't voted for a Democrat in any election at least from 1994 to 2004,

(6) he wants to take time out of the school day for prayers in public schools,

(7) he wants to post the Ten Commandments in public school classrooms,

(8) he thinks "Negro is a charming word,"

(9) he thinks "Mexico is not a poor country," and

(10) his immigration policy of hiring Mexican generals to police our border is a right-wing extremist's fantasy.

Anonymous said...

why are you supporting steve westly?

Neal said...

I'm endorsing Kinky in Texas because I like him. I think he's funny, a good singer, and an interesting author, but more than that, I think he could do a good job as a governor (could he do worse than Rick Perry?). I think it can't hurt to support someone who will bring some laughter into the political spectrum, especially now, when we don't have a lot to laugh about. (That, and I don't particularly care for Chris Bell)

As for supporting Westly over Angelidas, they're both very good Democrats, and I'll fully support whomever gets the nomination. It's just like with my picks of Cardin over Mfume in Maryland and Tester over Morrison in Montana. It's just who I believe would be a better opponent for the Republican (in this case, Schwarzenegger), and who I believe would have a better shot at beating him.

Alice said...

Neal, your politics is nothing if not ecletic. I'm amazed you know about these races, many of the names are unknown to me.

Anonymous said...

Sonny, you need to grow up and experience the world a little more before you go spoutin' off.

Kiny Friedman? Robert (doddering ex-KKK member) Byrd? Please.

Neal said...

I'll assure you, Buddy, that I know just as much about it as you do.

Since you sound to me like a Democrat, I'm sure you would agree that we're a big-tent party, and we can have liberals, moderates, and conservatives in one party, and that we shouldn't hold over folks' heads their worst mistakes from years ago.

Michael Snook said...

Al Weed's too liberal for your tastes?

Neal said...

Actually, I like Al Weed very much. I was trying to make this a mostly "national" bunch. If I did a Virginia-only "endorsement" thing, Weed would be near the top.

Anonymous said...

check Ford Bell for US Senate (MN)
www.fordbell.com
single-payer universal health care
get out of Iraq