Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority. - William Jennings Bryan

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Yipeeee!

I got some great news this morning from my dad, and later again from my friend Justin. My dad was in the kitchen this morning and said "I heard somewhere on the radio that Willie Nelson was coming around here." Justin was sitting in Government class with me later this morning and said "Willie Nelson is coming to play here in November." First thing after Government, I went to the library computers and confirmed that Willie Nelson will indeed play in Johnson City, Tennessee on November 6th. Tickets go on sale September 24th. Thirty five dollars for the cheap seats, forty five for the first 10 rows. I think I'll go for the forty five dollar ones.
Willie Nelson is one of the most recognizable faces not only in country music, but in the world of pop culture all together. People who have never heard "Nothing I Can Do About It Now," "Blame It On The Times," and "End To Understanding" instantly recognize "On The Road Again," "Always On My Mind," and "Whiskey River." And of course the duets with Waylon Jennings ("Good Hearted Woman," "Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Be Cowboys," etc.).

Willie Nelson is 72 years old, and his career shows no signs of slowing. A new country album last year, a new reaggea album this year, a duet with Jessica Simpson, the "Dukes of Hazzard" movie, 3 more albums in the works, the 20th annual Farm Aid concert, involvement in Bio-diesel companies and embryonic stem cell research funding, and almost 100 show dates a year show that Nelson will be busy and in high demand for the forseeable future. And with all the untold furtunes he is making, he still finds time to play a 2 1/2 hour show, and stand outside his bus several hours to meet and talk with any fans who want to talk to him.

What a guy.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to this.

NEXT TIME: I'll be talking about the 2006 Senate races, Jimmy Carter, and whatever else may cross my mind.

Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

-Neal

No comments: