Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority. - William Jennings Bryan

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

In A Hurry...

Can't write much...we're on a snow schedule so I have to go to lunch now, but I can tell you some small bits of news.
Both of the Senate's most Liberal "Old-Guard Lions," Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts and Robert C. Byrd of West Virginia, have made plans to run for re-election in 2006. Byrd, now 86, will run for his 9th term, while Kennedy, almost 73, will run for his 8th term. Off the top of my head, I can come up with a dozen Senators over age 70:
Byrd (up in 2006)
Kennedy (up in 206)
Warner (up in 2008)
Feinstein (up in 2006)
Jeffords (up in 2006)
Domenici (up in 2008)
Bunning (up in 2010)
Stevens (up in 2008)
Akaka (up in 2006)
Inouye (up in 2010)
Lautenberg (up in 2008)
Hatch (up in 2006)
And there are more, but for time's sake, I won't list them. What this signals to me is that the Senate is becoming increasingly old. The average age has increased in recent years. At some point, all of these aging leaders will retire (or, God forbid..die). This will, in my opinion, leave a huge leadership gap in the Senate that won't be filled for years.

Off to lunch..

No comments: