Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority. - William Jennings Bryan

Monday, January 23, 2006

Will The Circle Be Unbroken?

I just received word that today (January 22nd), Janette Carter, the matriarch of the Carter Family, died at age 82 in Kingsport, Tennessee. She was the daughter of A.P. and Sara Carter, the niece of Mother Maybelle Carter, and the cousin of June Carter-Cash. The story can be found (at least temporarily) here.

She had had several surgeries and falls, and suffered from Parkinson's Disease.

Miss Carter's daugher, Rita Forrester, said the Carter Family Fold, the legendary Scott County performance center she started over 30 years ago with her late brother Joe, would carry on. I haven't received word as to whether the performances on January 28th will be cancelled (I doubt it).

I had the honor of going to see a show at the fold in September or October of 2003. Janette played "Church In The Wildwood" and "Anchored In Love," and Joe did his famous animal sounds, told jokes, and sang "Mona Lisa Smile." The Goins Brothers were the headline act. I got to meet Janette very briefly, and, although I didn't realize it until he had passed me, met Joe Carter coming out of the (very little) bathroom. I won't forget my trip over there. I only wish I had the chance to go again. It's one of those "next thing on my list" kind of things.

Rest in peace, Miss Carter.

-Neal

No comments: