Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority. - William Jennings Bryan

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Republicans I Can Deal With

Some talk had been recently made about the fact that I am a partisan democrat. Well, let me say, yes I am. But, I'm a moderate progressive democrat, and I'm willing to deal with moderate and common-sense republicans. I thought I would discuss which GOPers that I like, and that I think are the voices of moderate/conservatives who are disenchanted with the knee-jerk conservatism of the Bush/Cheney/DeLay et al administation;

ONE: Senator Lincoln Chafee (R-RI)

I can definitly get along with Lincoln Chafee; Chafee is moderate and most issues (and likely should be a Democrat, but, you know, family tradition...). Chafee even spoke out against GW Bush before the 2004 election, and said he would cast a write-in ballot for former President George H.W. Bush. I can say with some certainty that if the Democrats take the majority in the Senate in 2006 and Chafee is re-elected (two major if's), Chafee will switch parties and either be a Democrat or an Independent.

TWO: Former Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-CO)


Okay, granted, Ben Nighthose Campbell is retired, and he was once a Democrat Senator, but I truly admire him for his bravery on his political beliefs, and I especially like his handling of American Indian issues. Before his 2005 retirement, Campbell was leading the Senate Indian Affairs Committee in investigations into charges that some were taking advantage of indian tribes by stealing money from them. I'll be frank and say I don't like Senator Ken Salazar very much (but consider the alternative, Pete Coors), and I would probably have rather seen Campbell run for re-election in 2004. But I can't argue with a Democrat pickup.

For the sake of time, I'll just briefly mention the others;

(But now for the sake of time I need to eat...I'll amend this post later and elaborate.)

-N

No comments: