Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority. - William Jennings Bryan

Sunday, August 21, 2005

(A Cautious) Thumbs-Up



I've been reading and studying about President Bush's nominee to the Supreme Court, John G. Roberts, and I've come to a decision on him; It could be worse.

By that I mean this; If I were serving in the U.S. Senate on the Democratic side, I would vote to confirm Judge Roberts, but with a degree of caution.

I don't agree with John Roberts very much at all, but there were several other possible nominees who I disagreed with much much more, and besides that, we can't be picky. Bush isn't going to nominate the ideal candidate for the Democrats to grin about and confirm 100%.

This will be an important vote concerning 2008 Presidential candidates, like Joe Biden, Evan Bayh, and John Kerry. If they all just vote against him because Bush nominated him, it will reflect very poorly on them. We need to look like we're at least willing to compromise.

Okay, that's my legal limit of bipartisanship for the week.

-Neal

No comments: