Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority. - William Jennings Bryan

Thursday, August 18, 2005

I'm Baaa-aaack...

Hey everybody! How are we today? We'll I'm alright, thanks. I just started back to school today (senior!), and it went well.

Let me say thanks to Heidi, Kathy, Alice, Maura, Kenton, Colleen, and Justin, all of whom helped make me a little more comfortable in a time when I needed comforting.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back now to the political reporting that apparently, some people must be reading! :)

VIRGINIA

Congressman Rick Boucher, the Fightin' Ninth's own favorite son, will be running for re-election to a 13th term in 2006, and will be drawing some opposition. Both 2004 nominee Kevin Triplett, the NASCAR executive who moved back after a decade in Florida to challenge the longtime incumbent, and State Delegate Bill Carrico of Independence will be likely challenging Congressman Boucher.

Boucher will be running in a district that President Bush carried with almost 60% (but that Congressman Boucher also won with 60%), and is highly favored for re-election.

It's always fun for me to laugh at the way the GOP tries to make Rick look out of the mainstream with Southwest Virginia values. Protecting jobs, supporting coal miners, and fighting to provide internet service to the rural areas--yep, way out of line with Southwest Virginia.

Let me say, I'm a big supporter of Congressman Boucher and I fully expect him to receive at least 65% of the vote in 2006.

OHIO

Governor Bob Taft, whose approval ratings are already in the toilet (16% last I heard), is getting in deeper trouble. The Ohio Governor has been indicted due to his role in some bribery scandal. Real Republican morals here, folks.

I would write more, but I need sleep, since tomorrow is another big day of exciting school!

Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

-Neal

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Rick Boucher is 'good people' and should coast to a hands-down win in the race if the RepPartyPeople once again lead off with the smear campaign. I find I'm actually hoping that they didn't learn anything the last time around.

On another topic: I'm sorry to hear of your losses. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Neal said...

To be honest, they never learn anything running against him, they just change the face attacking him. Triplett was just the same as Stafford in 84, Osborne in 00, Muldoon in 96, Brown in 88, Bacca in 98, etc.
2006 should be no different.
(On a side note, Jay Katzen, 2001 LG nominee and 2002 GOP candidate against Boucher, is a good family friend of ours and he did run a more positive campaign, but we see where that got him anyway...)

And thank you for the condolences. I appreciate it.