Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority. - William Jennings Bryan

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Regionals

Yesteray, I somehow got myself out of bed at 4:40 am, and to my high school at 5:40 am, to leave on a bus with our VHSL Academic Team to go to the Regional competition at East Montgomery High School near Christiansburg, Virginia.

We we're eliminated in our 4th match by Holston High School (we shared a bus going and coming, since both schools are in the same county--talk about akward). We lost by 5 points (160-155), and I could argue that we should have won. The judges ruled one of Justin's answers incorrect, because it was "too specific." Hmm...

But had to say until 3:00, as Holston went up against Radford in the finals. Holston lost, with a score of like 90 to Radford's 320 or 310.

One thing interesting to note; while we were eating breakfast, I saw a guy in a green sweater and blue jeans looking at the trophy case. I looked at him for a second, then recognized him. I got Justin's attention, and he verified that it was indeed Creigh Deeds. I got to looking at a program, and say Bath County was represented, and one of the team members' last names was Deeds. Bath County got blown out of the water by Radford in the first round, and was eliminated apparently the same time we were. I meant to talk to Senator Deeds, but I never got around to it.

I had a great time, and I made a few new friends with the folks on our team, a couple of whom I had never really talked to. I think the JSB team will make it further next year, as the Captain will be returning for her last year.

Next stop: debate team.

No comments: